Work Permit Policy
Students who wish to be employed while they attend school may do so under the conditions established by the State of California Department of Labor and Edison High School administration. The employment should never interfere with enough quality time to complete required studies.
Conditions of issuing work permits include:
- All students must maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average;
- All students must maintain 90% or higher attendance rate; and
- Must not have significant discipline issues as determined by the Assistant Principal.
- All students under the age of 18 must have a work permit in order to be employed. The proper paperwork must be obtained and completed, in order to receive a work permit.
The steps for obtaining a work permit are as follows:
- Work Permits are issued Monday – Thursdays from 9:00-3:00.
- Applications are available in the Edison High School Career Center located in the Colony room 502.
- Complete the “Request for Work Permit and Statement of Intent to Employ Minor” form.
- Have prospective employer complete and sign the bottom half of the form.
- Have parent or guardian sign in the proper location.
- Be sure to include your social security number
- Permits must be picked up within 7 days of issue or a new application will be required
SUMMER SESSION NOTE: Forms may be picked up and submitted to the main receptionist during the summer break only
Edison High School will call an employer and revoke a work permit if any of the following conditions occur:
- The student drops from Edison High School.
- The student has excessive truancies, tardies, and/or absences.
- The student has not served prior discipline actions, such as Saturday School.
- The student misses classes/appointments and/or does not turn in satisfactory work in a given period of time.
- Performance on tests is deemed sub-standard by the Assistant Principal and/or students’ individual subject teacher’s.
- The Assistant Principal/ students’ individual subject teacher’s through the SST process determine that schoolwork is suffering because of employment.